Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Sisters Language School and etc.



One of the main differences I have seen while staying in Brazil is whatever I seem to buy usually has been made right here in Brazil from things such as clothes to toothpaste. Truthfully, I have not seen one product from China. They support their economy tremendously which keeps everything running smoothly. I haven't traveled a lot in the United States so I am not sure if this is a difference, but many of the poorer people collect tin cans and bottles lying on the side of the roads, and then turn them into a recycling center because it is a good way for them to make a little money. The wealthy seem to be very generous in helping the poorer people; who are selling things at street lights, giving a little money for cleaning and washing cars as well as other things that can be done.
This last week I went to my sister's English class and talked to the kids about where I live and how I actually don't live in an igloo, in fact I have never seen one besides in films and the ones I have made with my friends. Their teacher had me talk in English for them because she wanted them to hear what our language sounds like. In exchange they asked me questions in Portuguese such as; Do you like your family? Do you like your sisters? Just little questions like these. It was a really good experience because we were on the same level they needed help with my language and I need help with theirs, we struggled to talk to each other but our points were made clear. 
 Well the first month is over, I have been here in Brazil for a month 1 week and a day and it's going better than I ever could have imagined.